11 Exciting New Years Eve Party Games
As the New Year approaches, it’s time that we put on our party shoes. We have a list of simple party games for you to boot that would add zing to your celebrations. What better way to ring in the New Year than by playing popular games that rock the party in style. It’s time for breaking the ice and making new friends folks!
1) New Year Bingo Idea
Let the countdown begin with this cool bingo game that has all the New Year goodies in store. Amp up the thrill by announcing the winners for getting the first horizontal, vertical and diagonal rows apart from the full house.
2) Elf Drinking Game for Adults
- Take printouts of the below and distribute it to the group.
- Play the film, Elf.
- The players should drink as per the instructions on the printable.
3) Icebreaking with Candies
- Make the couples sit together.
- They are given 10 candies each.
- The host will read out a list of icebreakers like the couple having a son/daughter older than 15 years, the couple wearing matching clothes, the couple married for more than 25 years, etc.
- After each icebreaker is read out, the couple that fits in will eat a candy.
The winning couple could be the one that finishes all the candies or the one left with the minimum candies.
4) New Year Resolutions Game
This could be a fave kitty party game for ladies. Though it can be played in small groups, large groups make it more exciting.
- Give pen and paper to every player.
- At the start signal, they write down funny and innovative New Year resolutions along with their names on the paper.
- The end signal is given after 1 minute.
- They put the paper in a basket.
- The host reads out the resolutions one by one.
The resolution that garners the maximum laughs and applauds decides the winner.
5) Ask It with Cards
- Download the free printable cards from here. They contain questions that allow you to reflect on the events of the past year.
- Have someone draw out the cards from a hat and ask the questions to the assembled group.
The answers that gather the most cheers decide the winners. Senior citizens would love to get themselves involved in this lovely game that requires minimal supplies.
6) Thumper Dance Game
- Each player goes to the front of the assembled group and displays a dance move that others commit to memory.
- The crowd now thumps their palms on the table in unison to create a beat.
- Each player comes forward and displays his own dance move (to the beat) followed by the jig of another player.
- The player whose dance was displayed will now come forward and repeat the previous step mentioned above.
Thus the game passes on. If someone forgets another person’s move or misses when his move is being passed on he/she is out. The person who is not out till the end of the game is the winner. This crazy game would be a sure success with the tweens and the teenagers.
7) Crush the Cups
This minute to win it game suits preschoolers and toddlers. However, grown-ups can also enjoy this quick and easy game.
- Divide a table into 2 adjacent zones with painters tape.
- Keep single-serve plastic cups and a straw in 1 zone and the other zone known as the “crush zone” should be empty.
- Each kid should transfer as many cups as possible, by blowing on the straw, to the crush zone and crush them there. The time is one minute.
The kid who crushes the maximum cups is the winner.
8) Musical Chairs
Though it is played in the traditional way there is 1 major difference. Instead of music, everyone moves around the chairs to the sound of ringing clock bells. When the bells stop ringing, they try to grab a seat.
For the game, you can record the sound of a ringing clock bell and play it on loop, pausing it at random. Musical chairs is thought to bring good luck and prosperity to the coming year.
9) Word Guessing Game
- Write down 50 words on index cards. They could be laugh, grin, blink, etc.
- Stack them up and put them in the center of the room.
- Divide the players into teams A and B. Seat the teams facing each other.
- Ask a member of team A to come up and pick a card.
- Set the timer to 1 minute.
- He should give clues to his team members that enable them to guess the word within the stipulated time.
[For e.g. for the word laugh, he could say something like, “You do this when someone tells you a joke”]
- If team A can guess it correctly, they get a point. If they fail, team B gets the point.
- Now a member of team B comes up and picks a card and the process is repeated.
In the end, the team with the maximum points wins.
10) New Year Tambola
- Take a printout of the below and write any number between 1 and 90 under each alphabet.
- Draw out a Tambola token at random from a set and call the number.
- If the number exists in any player’s printout, he has to strike it and the caller must place the token on a board.
- Repeat for the other tokens.
You can have a prize for the one who is the first to cancel 5 numbers, gets the corner 4 (M, Y, N, R), gets the words, “Merry Christmas”, gets “Happy New Year” and gets the full house. It can be played at dinner and house parties.
11) New Year’s Trivia
- Print out a list of events that occurred during the last year. They should not be in any chronological order.
- Distribute in the group.
- The players should arrange the events in the order they happened in the last year by putting numbers beside the events.
The participants who get the order right will win prizes. Playing it in the office would ensure a great time with the employees. It would provide a welcome relief to the corporate environment.
The DIY games are sure to be a hit with your friends and family. They can be played by people of all ages. Though essentially indoor games, the numbers 6 and 8 can be played outdoors as well. It would be nice to fill your home with the cheerful exclamations of the winners no matter what they get as their prizes. Win or no win the spirit of the games should keep the contestants going. Add to that the pleasant chill of the air and we are ready to usher in the Christian New Year. Take care that the decorations complement the joyful activities.